Python newbie help

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 04:28:06 EDT 2003

stephen at hostwiththemost.net (s) wrote in
news:87fa5cfa.0308181126.c61bfa2 at posting.google.com:

> I've recently been very interested in learning Python but I seem to
> lack direction while reading the tutorials.  I understand the syntax
> and everything concerning the language itself but the tutorials I have
> seen are merely displaying features of the language rather than
> teaching you to code while reaching an end goal of a program and I
> think that's been my problem with learning the language so slowly.  Is
> anyone aware of an online tutorial with examples that actually end up
> creating a semi-useful program and not just snippets of code
> displaying how the code functions?

I think that many people coming to Python already know how to program, and
they are the ones that the tutorial is aimed at. Teaching a new language to
someone who already programs is a very different thing from teaching Python
to people who know nothing about programming (the latter have far less to
unlearn!)

It depend what you mean by 'semi-useful', but you might want to have a look
at the Livewires Python Course, http://www.livewires.org.uk/python/ which
is intended for teaching programming to teenagers who have never programmed
before.