Python newbie help

s s at 3ntra.donotfreakingspamme.net
Tue Aug 19 08:38:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:00:06 GMT, Gary Feldman
<gafStopSpamData at ziplink.stopallspam.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:49:37 GMT, none <s at 3ntra.donotfreakingspamme.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Your examples follow along with the same thing that I'm describing.
>>You have code that works and thorough descriptions that explain what's
>>going on but there is no end goal.  I'm not learning how to write a
>>program, I'm learning how to write snippets of code.
>
>Just out of curiousity, what other programming languages do you know?  I
>ask because the approach currently taken in the tutorial seems appropriate
>for people who already know how to program (and that's made obvious by the
>opening paragraph in the introduction).  However, if you have no
>programming experience, or all you know is JavaScript or perhaps Visual
>Basic, then I can see how you might need more.
>
>Gary

Well, I know VB from years ago, C/C++ and a little PHP.  It's not so
much of a tutorial thing is a motivational thing for me.  I want to
have an end goal when I'm learning to program with something. With
python, I have not been presented an end goal so I get bored quickly
looking at code and not putting it to use with anything more than an
example.

>PS:  Your posting doesn't seem to match the base note with respect to the
>various author fields.  It's ok to hide real email addresses, etc., but it
>would be useful if there were some consistent indicator that the two posts
>were written by the same person, assuming that's the case.  It could just
>be a signature line, even if the sig is just "A Python Novice".

Sorry about that.  My NG program wasn't cooperating so I had to use
Google then I got it to cooperate and I realized that I had some of
the preferences screwed up.