ClientCookie bug (followup)

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 14:14:49 EDT 2003

cartermark46 at ukmail.com (Mark Carter) writes:

> > I'll investigate further.
>
> Here are the results from running tests in ClientCookie 0.4.4.a:
[...]
> The upshot of this is that load_cookie_data() now works in win 98 and
> xp.
> load_from_registry() works from win xp; it works from win 98 if and
> only if you set the USERNAME environment variable.

You missed the username argument.

cookiejar.load_from_registry(username="mark")

(should only be required for win9x family)

> I appreciate that all the stuff about request2 and response2 may not
> be to your liking - but at the moment I'm just trying to figure out
> what works, and what doesn't. We can also worry about the delayload
> business later.

No really, I wasn't joking: you *never* need to use add_cookie_header
/ extract_cookies if you're using urllib2 (at least, I can't think of
any possible reason to do so).  It can only break things.

> What do you think about the idea of actually setting up an Aapache web
> page to test these things 'for real'?

I've done limited testing on Windows with 'fake' cookies from a local
Apache server, and on wine on linux.  As I said, though, I don't have
a networked Windows OS, so it's inconvenient to test these things in a
'real' situation.  And my machine currently doesn't boot into Windows
without physically switching cables around (security & obscure
hardware issues, not software ones), which means I currently can't be
bothered to test it on Windows :-P.  So, your feedback is appreciated.

John