2.3: test test_normalization failed

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Aug 14 13:33:25 EDT 2003

Hans-Joachim Widmaier <hjwidmaier at web.de> writes:

> When I compiled Python 2.3 at home, everything went well. make test
> reported no problems. At work, though, I got:
>
>  test test_normalization failed -- 03F9;03F9;03F9;03A3;03A3;
>
> At first I thought it might be a problem with a somewhat inconsistently
> upgraded system, but a few looks showed me the real difference.
> At home I had updated Python quite frequently and downloaded
> NormalizationTest.txt some months ago. At work, I downloaded it last week.
> With revision 3.2.0 of said file the test passes, with revision 4.0.0 it
> fails.

This is known: Python from CVS explicitly requests the 3.2 file.

> I have almost zip knowledge of the whole unicode business 'til now, so
> I'm not overly concerned. Was 3.2.0 buggy? Is 4.0.0 buggy? Are there
> different, incompatible specs? (Now _that_ I can't think of!)

I would imagine it being something like unicode 4 adding more
characters, but Python 2.3 -- being built on 3.2 normalization data --
doesn't know how these new character compose or decompose.  Just a
guess.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Enlightenment is probably antithetical to impatience.
                                        -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp