2.3: test test_normalization failed

Hans-Joachim Widmaier hjwidmaier at web.de
Thu Aug 14 13:29:03 EDT 2003

When I compiled Python 2.3 at home, everything went well. make test
reported no problems. At work, though, I got:

 test test_normalization failed -- 03F9;03F9;03F9;03A3;03A3;

At first I thought it might be a problem with a somewhat inconsistently
upgraded system, but a few looks showed me the real difference.
At home I had updated Python quite frequently and downloaded
NormalizationTest.txt some months ago. At work, I downloaded it last week.
With revision 3.2.0 of said file the test passes, with revision 4.0.0 it
fails.

I have almost zip knowledge of the whole unicode business 'til now, so
I'm not overly concerned. Was 3.2.0 buggy? Is 4.0.0 buggy? Are there
different, incompatible specs? (Now _that_ I can't think of!)

Whatever, maybe someone can give a little insight.

Thanks for a great 2.3!

Hans-Joachim