Celebrity advice

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 27 18:40:30 EDT 2003

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters:
> Of course, in reality, the homicide rate is much lower outside of the
> USA, so the base rate isn't good for extrapolation.

I thought of that when I looked up that number.  But the
comparison stats I know of are for Europe.  I remember in 'Guns,
Germs, and Steel', in the foreword the author points out that
the homicide rate in New Guinea was quite high, pointing out
he knew a woman whose first husband was killed by the man
who became her second husband.  He goes on to state that
when two people first met, one of the things they did was to
figure out how they were related, because if they weren't
then the odds of murder was higher.  (Can't find my borrowed
copy of the book, so regard the above as a rough summary.)

And I didn't want to do the legwork to find more precise
numbers.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com