Python vs. C#

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Aug 9 20:50:23 EDT 2003

"Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message
news:3f357a9b at shknews01...
> What can I do with Python that I can't do with C#?

Given that all Turing complete languages are theoretically equivalent,
nothing, either way.

But...

> So again my question is, language-wise, what can I get done with
Python that
> I can't get done with C#?

Same question, same answer.  but...

> What is easy to express in Python, that is
> tedious, difficult, [or impossible] to express in C#?

Different question, more realistic answer...

I don't believe there are many C# experts who post here, so I'll share
the teeny bit I know from other postings.

The smart people who investigated integrating Python as a full-fledged
.NET CLR language gave up because they found the [common intermediate
language] to be unsuitable for Python.  I believe it had to do with
dynamic typing vs. C#, etc, static typing.  So I speculate that
generic programming (writing functions that work with any behaviorally
compatible objects) is much easier in Python than C#.

Maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Terry J. Reedy