Python's biggest compromises

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 10 18:16:29 EDT 2003

Robin Becker wrote:

> I'm not an expert, but the various grid computation schemes seem to
> prefer either java or c/c++, I suspect that those schemes aren't really
> using threads in main, after all they seem to be running between
> machines in different parts of the world even. I suspect Python would be
> in better shape if we could migrate threads or tasklets from one
> processor to another.
>
> I believe pyro can almost do that, but I haven't tried it.

Could you please elaborate on this a bit?
What exactly did you have in mind when talking about
"migrating threads or tasklets" ?

Does this involve transporting code across nodes,
or only the 'execution' (and data)?

Pyro supports transporting code, but with a few important limitations,
such as "once loaded, not reloaded".

--Irmen de Jong