Python's biggest compromises

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 6 13:00:25 EDT 2003

In article <bgr96h$a9$1 at panix3.panix.com>, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com>
writes

>(Yes, there are issues with Python on SMP machines, but to call Python's
>built-in threading "non-existent SMP scalability" is either a lie or
>revelatory of near-complete ignorance.  That doesn't even count the
>various IPC mechanisms.)
I'm not an expert, but the various grid computation schemes seem to
prefer either java or c/c++, I suspect that those schemes aren't really
using threads in main, after all they seem to be running between
machines in different parts of the world even. I suspect Python would be
in better shape if we could migrate threads or tasklets from one
processor to another.

I believe pyro can almost do that, but I haven't tried it.
--
Robin Becker