Is Python your only programming language?

Jimmy Retzlaff jimmy at retzlaff.com
Tue Aug 12 07:52:55 EDT 2003

Joe Cheng wrote:
> I'm curious about something... many Artima.com members who have a Java
> background and learned Python have come to the conclusion that Java
and
> Python are highly complimentary languages.  They would never consider
> filling the place Java has in their toolbox with Python, but recognize
there
> are many tasks where it really pays to add Python to the mix.
>
> I want to ask you hard-core c.l.p Pythonistas: Do you use Python for
> everything?  (and I'm counting Python + C extensions as just Python)
Or do
> you keep another language equally close at hand, and if so, what is
it?  And
> finally, do you foresee a day when Python can be, for all practical
intents
> and purposes, your only programming language?

I'm almost exclusively using Python and SQL these days. Before
discovering Python I was mainly using C++ and SQL with a little Java and
a little VBScript (in ASP). Within a few months all new code was in
Python/SQL and the other languages were only used for maintenance. After
a couple years of that, we found that it was often easier to translate
subsystems into Python than to add features in the other languages.

That was all at my previous job. In my current position we used to
occasionally write some C (Python C API) or C++ (Boost) extensions.
Since installing psyco and ctypes I don't think we've written a single
line of C/C++ and we've even migrated some of those extensions to
Python. Our core product is a Python application. You can see a few
screenshots at http://www.averdevelopment.com. It contained about 30K
lines of Python at last count.

Jimmy