Python should try to displace Java

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Aug 12 08:29:11 EDT 2003

Doug Tolton <dtolton at yahoo.com> writes:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:43:08 -0700, "Brandon J. Van Every"
> <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote:
[...]
> >- in 5 years, nobody will be doing significant amounts of new application
> >development in C++.  The writing is on the wall: garbage collection is
> >essential.  Any C++ code will be support and legacy libraries.
>
> That's a ridiculous blanket statement.  People will be doing C++
> development for a long time beyond that.  There are people still
[...]

You (like me) misread what he wrote, I suspect.  *Application*
development, not development in general.  I see no reason to disagree
that that would be sane (doesn't mean it's going to happen in five
years, of course).

> than C# does.  MS really shot themselves in the foot when they went to
> dotnet, essentially the adopted the Java platform 8 years after Java.
> Now they are playing catchup with an inferior product.  I doubt
> they'll ever catch up to Java overall.

Remains to be seen.

> >- Ergo, Java is the weakling of the litter for Python to attack.
>
> No factual basis for this statement.  Java and Python are really
> entirely different things.  Python is meant as a scripting language,
> Java is a Systems programming language.  It is meant as an alternative
> to C++, Python isn't.
[...]

Well, that's certainly frequently debated.

John