PyChecker work with Python 2.3?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Aug 3 10:34:01 EDT 2003

[Gerhard Häring]

> achrist at easystreet.com wrote:
> > Gerhard Häring wrote:

> >>Why don't *you*?
> > Smart people learn from their mistakes.  Very smart people
> > learn from other people's mistakes.

> If you think you are so smart, why don't you use your time more economically
> then and just try it out?

Come on, guys!

What's so wrong, asking if someone had success or problems with something?
Asserting for oneself that a package `works' may be a bigger undertaking
than one might think of.  Quickly trying simple cases is one thing.  But
being solid in all conditions is another game.  If unit testing is popular
in these days, this is because people feel an urge of being able to answer
such questions, however imperfect unit testing may be.

It looks like time economical, to me, asking to a crowd of interesting
people if someone hit any problem using a package under specified
conditions, compared to trying all alone to ascertain the quality.  There is
of course the danger of abusive laziness, but we should be careful and
reserved, before silently assuming that our correspondent is rotten lazy.