(VERY) New to Python. Need Help!

Don Bruder dakidd at sonic.net
Tue Aug 5 03:56:09 EDT 2003

Greetings, oh scaly ones... :)

I'm a Mac user with a fairly high level of computer literacy, including
reasonable programming skills in BASIC, C, Pascal, and several flavors
of ML, just trying to run a "canned" Python... Uhhh... Program? Script?
Module? - Yeesh... I'm such a rookie at Python I'm not even sure of the
right terminology to use here...

At this point in the game, I'm not actually trying to *DO* anything in
Python, I just want to run a program that's written in Python.
Specifically, I'm trying to run a P2P package called "BitTorrent".

So I've downloaded and installed a package calling itself "MacPython-OS9
2.2.3", which claims to be functional back to MacOS 8.1. (I'm running
8.6)

That was fairly painless. Now that I've got it installed, I'm slamming
face-first into a brick wall at high velocity - After diddling file
types per the docs for MacPython, I double-click the
"btdownloadheadless.py" file that the FAQ for BitTorrent says should run
for me, and I get a window opening up with this:

Python 2.2.3 (#139, Jun  1 2003, 23:11:08)  [CW CARBON GUSI2 THREADS GC]
on mac

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Megalon City
I:Downloads:BitTorrent-3.2.1b:btdownloadheadless.py", line 6, in ?
    from BitTorrent.download import download
  File "Megalon City
I:Downloads:BitTorrent-3.2.1b:BitTorrent:download.py", line 23, in ?
    from os import getpid, path, makedirs
ImportError: cannot import name getpid

and nothing further happens.

Looks pretty obvious that something it wants can't be found. At this
point in my Python "career", I don't have a freakin' clue what, where to
tell it to look for it, or even *HOW* to tell it to look for it!

Anybody wanna to throw this newbie a bone?

Yes, I realize this is quite vague. Quite frankly, I don't know enough
about the language to even properly describe the problem.

So can Somebody please lend a hand here? Before you're forced to taunt
me a second time! :)

(Hey! Quit throwing those tomatoes! The docs said Monty Python
references are not only acceptable, but *ENCOURAGED*! :) )

--
Don Bruder -  dakidd at sonic.net <--- Preferred Email - unmunged, SpamAssassinated
Hate SPAM? See <http://www.spamassassin.org> for some seriously great info.