Python for .NET preview 2 release

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Aug 9 09:39:29 EDT 2003

"Bryan" <belred1 at yahoo.com> writes:

> is this the same visual python .net that at activestate?  i didn't
> know they python .net is still moving forward.  i also thought i
> read somewhere that there were some limitations about using a
> typeless language on the clr.  is this not true anymore?

Visual Python is a plugin for the Visual Studio IDE, I believe.

Python.NET was an implementation of Python directly on the CLR virtual
machine.  It never got anywhere, and never will -- the CLR is hostile
to languages like Python.

I think Python for .NET is an interoperability framework -- I presume
you can run CPython from .NET, and .NET from CPython, but it isn't
Python *in* .NET.

It would be nice if all this context were made clear on the Python for
.NET page.

John