Advice to a Junior in High School?

Stan Graves soundinmotiondj at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 16:46:27 EDT 2003

"Howard Nease" <hnease at midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message news:<Ivw2b.1305$Ce2.314 at clmboh1-nws5.columbus.rr.com>...
> I would be devastated were I to find the need to leave computer science.

I suppose we should just chalk that up to the angst of a 17 year old.
There is nothing magical, mystical, or more enlightening about
computer science compared with any other profession, vocation or
avocation.  If you really would be "devastated" to not be a computer
scientist, I would recommend some counseling to address your
perceptions of your worth and value as a person.

> love the subject, and I've wanted to be a computer scientist ever since I
> was 12 years old.

I've changed professional aspirations at least a dozen times since I
was 12 years old.  I've actually changed professions 6 times since I
was 12 years old.

> Does anyone have any advice for me and my future?

Yes.  Volunteer in your community, read to children, talk to your
grandparents and find out where you came from, visit art galleries,
learn to cook, be a good listener, support your local animal shelters,
always stop and buy lemonade from kids in the neighborhood, read one
really good book a year - start with Shakespeare or Mark Twain, learn
to dance, attend at least one ballet or symphony a year, take a nap at
least once a month, stretch before exercising, tip generously, travel,
spend less than you earn, and finally - understand that what you do
for a living does not define who you are as a person.

> What should I study in
> college?

You should learn to think and to learn in college.

Focus on problem decomposition - there are no interesting problems
that can be solved in one bite...everything has to be broken down into
smaller pieces.

Study literature - I have yet to see a single computer scientist who
can manipulate symbols as well as Shakespeare.

Take a music appreciation class.  The development of musical theory
and composition provides a good parallel for the understanding of
complex systems interactions.  I have yet to meet a single computer
scientist who can manage complex systems architecture as well as
Beethoven.

> Will the market for jobs get better? Do I have any hope at all of
> finding a decent-paying job in compsci?

The market is going to be different than it is today.  Better is a
judgment that I do not care to make.  The advice I received was to get
a good education and increase your odds of remaining gainfully
employed.  It was, and still is, good advice.

> What languages do you suggest that I
> study (I'm already studying Python)?

I'd suggest English.  The ability to communicate effectively is
probably more important than any technical skill.

If you get tired of studying English, then you might try German.  I
love the structure of the Germanic languages.  If you live in the
southwest, perhaps Spanish would be a good language to study.

If you still insist that specific topics in computer science have any
more value than something else, I'd recommend the following:

- Pick a text editor.  Learn it inside and out.  Use it for
everything.
- Pick a unix shell.  Learn it inside and out.  Use it for everything.
- Use a source code control system for everything - no matter how
large or small the project.
- Use make for every project, no matter how small.
- Favor "standards" over proprietary tools.
- Learn to write web pages...using the standards!
- Learn C.
- Learn C++.  Learn it both as an OO language, and as a proceedural
language.
- Learn one new language a year.

--Stan Graves