Advice to a Junior in High School?

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at comcast.net
Tue Aug 26 14:59:17 EDT 2003

"Howard Nease" <hnease at midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message news:<Ivw2b.1305$Ce2.314 at clmboh1-nws5.columbus.rr.com>...
> Hello, everyone. I would appreciate any advice that someone could give me on
> my future career path. Here is my situation:

> Does anyone have any advice for me and my future? What should I study in
> college? Will the market for jobs get better? Do I have any hope at all of
> finding a decent-paying job in compsci? What languages do you suggest that I
> study (I'm already studying Python)?

I would say that more important than learning any particular language
is learning the theoretical aspects of the job, including the math.
Languages change, the theory will benefit you all your life.

That said, I agree that you should learn and study a variety of
languages.  Each carries with it a particular way of thinking about a
problem, and once you understand that way of thinking you can apply it
elsewhere.

As for a job in CompSci, I'd say if you were in it for a steady job,
doing the same sort of thing for years, getting good pay without too
much work, you're really in the wrong field.  Amazingly, a lot of
people working today have that attitude.  Many more are trying to
figure out where their jobs went.

You sound like someone with a real love for the field and a desire to
keep learning and improving yourself.  If that's the case, you'll do
fine.