Claus Alboege csa at csa-net.dk
Sun Aug 31 03:50:12 EDT 2003

"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:

> <zsh-users-help at sunsite.dk> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1062283998.26328.python-list at python.org...
>> Hi! This is the ezmlm program. I'm managing the
>
> Hi, exmlm

>> To confirm that you would like
>>
>>    python-list at python.org
>>
>> removed from the zsh-users mailing list, please send an empty reply
>> to this address:
>>

> zsh-users-uc.1062283803.okifnhokaldgjdaajooj-python-list=python.org at su
> nsite.dk
>>
>> Usually, this happens when you just hit the "reply" button.
>> If this does not work, simply copy the address and paste it into
>> the "To:" field of a new message.
>>
>> I haven't checked whether your address is currently on the mailing
> list.
>
> Then you are a pretty dumb program.  I bet it is not. You should know
> that any 'user' called xxx-list is another mailing list and that any
> attempt to subscript or unsubscript such is a casual or malicious joke
> (possibly from viruses, as probably with this case).

Ever heard of sublists? And about people using different addresses for
each list they subscribe to, such as user-xxx-list at dom.tld?

> What would you do if I forged an email trying to subscribe/unsubscribe
> zsh-users to/from itself?  Would you send a messege asking it to reply?

Yes, but the confirmation request would never reach the list. Ezmlm
will reject messages containing a "Mailing-List" header. (Unless it has
been configured as a sublist)

Probably Mailman should do the same!?

/Claus A