Script to remove SoBig/F virus from POP3 mailbox

Alex usenet_poster_a at tranzoa.com
Fri Aug 22 15:19:36 EDT 2003

Under the gun, I've written a Python script to delete emails containing this
latest virus/worm (Sobig-F) from a POP3 mailbox.

http://www.tranzoa.com/extras.htm#remove_email_virus

The script is a quick-and-dirty, no question, but it's sure doing the job on
megabytes of garbage without too much bandwidth use (it gets the top 150 text
lines of the emails).

Interestingly enough, it shows that most of the bad email we're getting can be
traced back to a few IP addresses. (Are you listening, 206.228.159.186 and
212.234.58.156 and 81.96.121.126?) That fact indicates that if an ISP or net
admin were to pull the plug on a just a few connections, the net would lose a
lot of wasted bytes and traffic.

Alex