GUI libs

Iwan van der Kleyn none at none.com
Sat Apr 26 05:59:23 EDT 2003

Alessio Pace wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to make a GUI for a program written in python, meant to run on
> mac, win and linux: which is the preferable solution? I saw around tkinter,
> wxpython and pyqt....

For me it came down to a choice between Tkinter and WxPython. In the end
I settled for WxPython.  A rather biased comparrison of Tkinter and
WxPython you can find at
http://wiki.wxpython.org/index.cgi/Choosing_20wxPython_20over_20Tkinter

I like the quote "Yes, with wxPython you pay the price up front, in the
learning curve. With Tk you pay it later, when you're developing
applications with real interface requirements."

Part of the learning curve of WxPython is the fact that WxPython has no
documentation worth mentioning. The C++ library on which it runs,
WxWindows, has terrific documentation but it's near to useless if you do
not have any C++ experience. So if you have litle experience and want to
have results fast, then tkinter is a good choice. However, the
usercommunity around WxPython is very supportive. And Boa Contructor is
a terrific IDE/Form builder which uses WxPtyhon. With this you can
create complex forms fast and use the generated code to learn WxPython
quikcly. http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

Regards,

Iwan