GUI libs

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 25 08:57:18 EDT 2003

    Alessio> Hi, I'd like to make a GUI for a program written in
    Alessio> python, meant to run on mac, win and linux: which is the
    Alessio> preferable solution? I saw around tkinter, wxpython and
    Alessio> pyqt....

pygtk runs on windows, unix and mac os and is an excellent and mature
GUI toolkit.  It also supports glade, a visual GUI rapid application
design tool.  If you've ever run the GIMP, you have an idea of how
sophisticated GTK applications can be.  I also think that pygtk apps
are more visually appealing than Tkinter apps.  Certainly wx is
powerful and makes great looking apps, but make sure it can handle
printing on your platforms of choice before committing -- last time I
checked, printing on some platforms was still a work in progress.

  Homepage: http://www.daa.com.au/~james/pygtk/
  Docs: http://www.gnome.org/~james/pygtk-docs/
  Tutorial: http://www.moeraki.com/pygtktutorial/pygtk2tutorial/index.html

Here's a screenshot of an application I'm working on in pygtk

  http://nitace.bsd.uchicago.edu:8080/files/share/loc3d_jr.png

Cheers,
John Hunter