make test fails on NetBSD 1.6

Martin v. Löwis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Apr 19 03:03:01 EDT 2003

carlggb at terc.edu (Carl Alexander) writes:

> I'm new to Python.  Building 2.2.2 on NetBSD 1.6 seems to go fine, but I get
> this from make test.  It's not quite clear to me how I should go about asking
> "someone to teach regrtest.py about which tests are expected to get skipped
> on netbsd1".

If you consider yourself a NetBSD expert, you should determine which
of these tests should have worked: e.g. should it be expected that
NetBSD supports the en_US locale (in which case test_locale should
have worked); should it be expected that the system supports fork with
threads (in which test_fork1 should be executed), and so on.

If you have a list of tests that you would expect to be executed, find
out why the tests that got skipped did so; for the rest, submit a
patch to sf.net/projects/python to make an entry in
Lib/test/regrtest.py to list the tests that are expected to be skipped.

You should be concerned about the failure of test_threading; it means
that your thread library doesn't work as Python expects it to work. In
that case, it is best to either fix the problem, or compile Python
with --without-threads.

Regards,
Martin