Python application deployment?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Apr 9 19:10:32 EDT 2003

There's FAQ's for this, but here's the short summary:

    Use py2exe or McMillan Installer, both generate stand-alone apps
    with just those parts of Python you need

    Package the results up however you like (e.g. I use the free Inno
    Setup package) and distribute.

Results w/ py2exe tend to be fairly good in my experience.  You wind up
with "normal" seeming download sizes for non-trivial applications (e.g.
4 or 5 MB for a small wxPython GUI application (wxPython is fairly
monolithic when built, so it takes a lot of space) with ZODB database
support and various win32-specific functions).  For non-GUI apps that's
going to be considerably smaller.

HTH,
Mike

--