Problem Cron-Job using Python-Script

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Apr 16 19:10:26 EDT 2003

Mathias Waack wrote:

> Gerhard Haering <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
>
> > Cron normally doesn't set any environment variables.
>
> Thats not right, cron sets at least HOME, SHELL and LOGNAME.

It varies from cron daemon to cron daemon.  It's true, though, that cron
rarely sets anything like the full environment that you're used to in an
interactive shell.

If you take a program that relies on external programs and put it in a
cronjob, you should expect to have problems due to the environment
differences.  Most notably, PATH will either be nonexistent or severely
limited.

/  \ Would a harvest from my heart / Find its season
\__/ Sandra St. Victor
    Python chess module / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/chess/
 A chess game adjudicator in Python.