LinearAlgebra vs LinAlg.py (access to full LAPACK routines)

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 18:28:13 EDT 2003

Jason Taylor wrote:

> In the documentation for the LinearAlgebra package it states:
>
>     # This module is a lite version of LinAlg.py module which contains
>     # high-level Python interface to the LAPACK library.  The lite
> versioho
>     # only accesses the following LAPACK functions: dgesv, zgesv,
> dgeev,
>     # zgeev, dgesdd, zgesdd, dgelsd, zgelsd, dsyevd, zheevd, dgetrf,
> dpotrf.
>
> Does LinAlg.py exist? If so, where can it be found?
>
> The reason I want it, is so that I can have access to all LAPACK
> routines (If it provides that).

>From Numeric's setup.py:

# delete all but the first one in this list if using your own LAPACK/BLAS
sourcelist = [os.path.join('Src', 'lapack_litemodule.c'),
              os.path.join('Src', 'blas_lite.c'),
              os.path.join('Src', 'f2c_lite.c'),
              os.path.join('Src', 'zlapack_lite.c'),
              os.path.join('Src', 'dlapack_lite.c')
             ]
# set these to use your own BLAS
library_dirs_list = []
libraries_list = []

You can build NumPy with your own (full) lapack/blas, and even with an
atlas-optimized version.

If you use scipy (http://scipy.org), it is designed to detect a full
lapack/blas build (including an atlas-based one) and give you the whole
thing in one package.  Note that scipy is a superset of Numpy, so you get
all of Numeric plus much more.

Cheers,