How many of you are Extreme Programmers?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Apr 16 15:26:03 EDT 2003

Peter Hansen wrote:

> Although the social aspects are not easy, I reject the idea
> that almost all developers have territorial egos.  Territoriality
> was by far the *least* significant social issue we encountered
> in becoming an XP team.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that
> in most cases (in my experience) people welcome not having to
> feel sole responsibility for a given piece of code.  Not always,
> but very often.

Pair programming was the most fun and most productive way to create code I'd
ever experienced. With the right partner, that is -- and unfortunately the
right partner left the company. So no more pair programming for me.

With the wrong partner, it can be hell. Curiously enough, wrong didn't have
anything to with territoriality -- at my current employer's I've never met
a territorial coder -- but experience. And coding mentality. When your
partner refuses to learn even the language you're supposedly programming in
the fun ends pretty quickly.