How many of you are Extreme Programmers?

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Wed Apr 16 14:18:59 EDT 2003

"Michael Chermside" <mcherm at mcherm.com> wrote in message
> Christopher writes:
> > So how many of you guys use XP processes?
>
> Well, I'm not sure if I qualify or not. I really LIKE most of the
points
> that XP makes, but I find many of its proponants overly exuberant. I
> think exhaustive, automated tests are a wonderful idea. I believe in
> refactoring. I think pair programming works very well most of the
time.
> I think super-short release cycles (with code that grows feature-by-
> feature) is a great idea. I think having a customer on-site is
extremely
> helpful.
>
> I DON'T think that it's wise to just start coding without a bit of
design
> up front (although one must keep YAGNI in mind). I don't think that
using
> the code itself as the only documentation (no design docs) works well.
> Most of all, I don't like mandating any particular methodology... the
> needs vary from project to project and team to team.

At the risk of being overly exuberant, most XP practitioners do
some design up front (enough to get a handle on the problem, at least.)
They just don't treat that design as cast in stone. And I've never seen
a project that wouldn't be helped by a few pages of carefully thought
out introduction to the basic concepts of the thinking behind it. With
UML if it is helpful.