Pythonic way of web-programming

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat Apr 5 14:30:27 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 12:49, Giorgi wrote:
> The question is that the only way to establish Python as a language
> for corporate level web-programming is to have the standard approach
> if not introduced, then at least supported by the Python consortium...

I don't think that's entirely true.  It's difficult for *Python* to be a
language for certain areas of web programming (perhaps corporate), but
certain Python environments could still achieve that.  The corporation
would choose an environment, not a language, and if a good environment
is written in Python then indirectly they'll have chosen Python.

But I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have more cohesion... that's
just not the way it is now.  It's harder to make it happen, because
unlike Java or .NET, the Python community is not a top-down community.
Guido has some authority, but I think he's almost as much a decision
process as a decider -- he decides on things where there's some level of
consensus in the community, and doesn't make dictates otherwise.  The
standard library has some authority, but its fairly neutral on these
things.  Besides that there's no authority at the moment.

The next step I can envision would be for Twisted to become the
canonical infrastructure, where higher-level web frameworks are all
built ontop of it.  In that way we can start to build consensus one
piece at a time.

  Ian