Visio like library for Python?

Johannes Eble skywalkerpackage at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 15 06:28:27 EDT 2003

Hi Duncan,

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:20:01 +0000 (UTC), Duncan Booth
<duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk> wrote:

>skywalkerpackage at hotmail.com (Johannes Eble) wrote in
>news:3e93e50f.676072541 at news.online.de:
>
>> is there a library available for Python that behaves similar to MS
>> Visio? For example, I would like to create vector graphic objects and
>> connect the with a line. If I move, flip or rotate a connected object,
>> the line should follow the connection.
>>
>> I would like to draw UML diagrams.
>
>Maybe not quite what you asked but you might want to look at
>ObjectDomain which is a UML diagram editor that is fully scriptable in
>Python (or rather Jython).

I would prefer an Open Source product.

>> But the program is in c and it is tightly coupled with GTK+.
>> It seems to be an impossible mission to control dia from
>> another program, at least in Windows.
>
>A quick look at the Dia website seems to indicate that DiaPython exists.

Not really. There is a way to use Python plug-ins, but it is
undocumented. It is impossible to write a plug-in without a knowlede
of the c code. Also, I don't like GTK+ because this pseudo object
oriented c style is very ugly IMHO let apart the problems you face
with Windows.

Regards

Johannes