Locale settings

Bob van der Poel bvdpoel at kootenay.com
Mon Apr 21 14:22:07 EDT 2003

I've got a minor problem with locale settings and tkinter. My program
has done a test to determine the current locale setting for the user:

loc = locale.getdefaultlocale()
if loc[1]:
   userEncoding = loc[1]
     try:
        ''.encode(userEncoding, 'replace')
     except:
        userEncoding = ''

if userEncoding == '':
   userEncoding='ascii'

Now, for the most part this works. However, one user of my program has
just upgraded to Linux Mandrake 9.1 and (I think) he has set his
language to "de". In any event, the getdefaultlocal() seems to return
'de' which isn't a valid python encoding (??) and the above code then
converts to his 'ascii'.

Strings entered into entry boxes, etc. are converted to a useable
encoding with:

if type(s) != type(''):
   s=s.encode(userEncoding, 'replace')

But, with the 'ascii' encoding accented characters are converted to '?'
(which is as expected). Now, on my system, with language set to
'english' I get a locate setting of ISO8859-1. And this does display
accented characters properly.

My question, after all this, is what to tell my German user as to the
correct way to set his locale so that these characters display. Or, if
my code is not correct, a proper manner to do all this. BTW, this is all
done to convert the unicode strings sometimes returned by tk-entryboxes
to normal, 8bit strings, which can be sorted, etc. ... avoiding the dreaded:

	UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

Thanks.

EMAIL: bvdpoel at kootenay.com
WWW:   http://www.kootenay.com/~bvdpoel