Locale settings

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at charter.net
Wed Apr 23 16:49:35 EDT 2003

> Guess I  can use the included version for awhile
> and then, once 2.3 become common, just tell users to use that python
> version.

No need.  Try to use getpreferredencoding, and fall back to your copied
code.  For example, after reading this thread I added a global
getpreferredencoding function to my app like this:

try:
 # Use Python's version of getpreferredencoding if it exists.
 # It is new in Python 2.3.
 import locale
 getpreferredencoding = locale.getpreferredencoding
except:
 # Use code copied from locale.py in Python 2.3alpha2.
 if sys.platform in ('win32', 'darwin', 'mac'):
  << define getpreferredencoding using _locale >>
 else:
  << define getpreferredencoding for *nix >>

This code is at the top level of the module.

Edward

** Please note my new email address and Leo's new URL below **

Edward K. Ream   email:  edreamleo at charter.net
Leo: Literate Editor with Outlines