PyQt setup on Linux Mandrake 8.2

dwelch dwelch91 at nospam.attbi.com
Sat Sep 21 01:51:05 EDT 2002

I would like to setup PyQt 3.4 on my Mandrake 8.2 box. I am having
difficulty, and I am worried that if I do the wrong thing, KDE will go
belly-up on me since it is Qt based.

First, question is: why isn't QTDIR defined by default? Is QTDIR a
runtime setting or a development setting?

So I set QTDIR to /usr/lib/qt2 (that seems to be where the libqt2 RPMs
files are). Next question is: Since I have libqt2 already on my system,
how do I add the Qt development pieces without screwing up Qt/KDE? Is
/usr/lib/qt2 even the correct location?

When I run SIP 3.4 build.py, it complains about tmake not being
available. Is tmake included with Qt2 development files? SIP doesn't
seem to have any docs, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Also, my RPM manager says that I have libqt2-devel (2.3.1-29mdk)
installed. No tmake listed in the files, though. And, PyQt-devel
(2.5-1mdk) is also listed as installed, but there aren't any .py files
included, only .sip files (I found this curious).

Installing software on Linux makes me feel like such an idiot!

Any help or pointers would be much appreciated.

Don