RedHat 7.3 and Python2.2.1

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Sep 2 21:59:38 EDT 2002

Kow Kuroda wrote:

> On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 11:43 , Peter Hansen wrote:
>
>> Doug Farrell wrote:
>>> I'm trying to install the latest version of Python
>>> (python2-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm) from the www.python.org download page, and
>>> I'm having problems. When I run
>>>
>>> rpm -i python2-2.2.1-1.i386.rpm
>>>
>>> I get all kinds of conflict messages like this:
>>>
>>> file /usr/bin/pydoc2 from install of python2-2.2.1-1 conflicts with
>>> file from package python2-2.2-16
>>
>> Sounds like you already have a previous version of Python2.2 installed.
>> You should probably be using the "-U" option to update instead of
>> the "-i" option to install... or uninstall the previous one first.
>
> I just wanted to make a comment on Peter's post.
>
> I think -U or --upgrade option works, but it's dangerious to uninstall
> Python 2.1, which is now part of Red Hat Linux 7.3, unlike in prevous
> releases where Python 1.5.2 or something is used for installation scripts.

(Note he had a conflict with Python 2.2, not 2.1.  It should work fine.)

Your comments about RH7.3 don't quite fit with my experience.  I just
installed it (posting from the machine it's on, in fact) and "python"
executes 1.5.2 still, while "python2" executes 2.2, not 2.1.  What am
I missing?

-Peter