Source code

Bradley D. Larson blarson at crary.com
Wed Sep 18 12:59:18 EDT 2002

I might have missed it... (I read most of the posts on this subject).
Why not just use a significant info registration key. The registration
key would be sensative to date, registered name and/or some other
piece of information that would be required to get the software to work.

At least then  (if the person buying the pirated software) would have to:

    1. Set their computer date BACK to the DATE of the original reg key use.
    2. Enter the name of the original owner.
    3. Enter the other information (ie. version, address -- if they move they get a
new regkey).

This would do several things.

    1. Become pretty obvious to the purchaser that the software is pirated.
    2. The pirater and/or purchaser would have to know all items relating to
            the reg key.

You could have the reg key checked periodically during the program run time.
Hide the checking routine in some unsuspecting code (create a dummy function
like syncMufflerBelt() in a linked c module that gets called periodically.

If you do come accross an illegal copy you would be able to know the original
owner and possible trace the path to the current user (take 'em all down!).