Source code

Greg Goodman chironsw at swbell.net
Wed Sep 18 16:58:16 EDT 2002

> If I am going to sell my programs, I do not want somebody else to take my
> sourcecode, change a few things, and sell it

If you copyright your work and release it under a restrictive license,
then someone might pirate your work, but it would be illegal and you
would have recourse through the courts.

If you obfuscate and compile your work, then a determined pirate can
*still* steal your work.  Unless you copyright it and release it under a
restrictive license, that "piracy" may not be illegal and you might have
no effective recourse.

In my estimation, the risk to your potential income will be reduced more
by legitimate legal protections than by a technological barrier,
particularly a weak one.  (And, as has been noted before, virtually all
the technological protections for software are weak.)

Regards,
Greg Goodman