UpToDate SOAP-module ??

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 23 07:29:25 EDT 2002

"Thomas Weholt" <2002 at weholt.org> writes:

> Anyway, if you want to provide more information about why I safely can
> ignore SOAP feel free. It would make my project a bit less complicated so
> I'd be glad to skip it. :-)

It all depends on what your users want to use; and I'm talking about
*real* users here, not people that just have wishlists, but don't
seriously plan to use your service.

I think that clients will prefer whatever makes development of their
applications simplest. Which technology is simplest depends on various
aspects, such as the complexity of the interface, the target language
for developing clients, and any libraries that client developers may
have.

If the interface is a simple one, clients might be happy with XML-RPC,
except for the result-parsing part (if they use Python or Perl, they
might be happy with XML-RPC even for results).

If the interface is complex and out-of-the-box interoperability is
important for unknown clients, I'd prefer CORBA over SOAP.

If you are not only developing the server, but also the client, I'd
prefer CORBA over SOAP also.

About the only scenario where offering SOAP might be needed is that
people want to develop clients with C#, in .NET, since there are no
.NET ORBs available, yet.

Regards,
Martin