ANN: Thinking in Tkinter

Alan C. aicolburn at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 12:56:50 EDT 2002

Your comments are well taken, Tom, but I think a little care is needed
when using IDLE for learning Tkinter, just because the
"root.mainloop()" command will hang IDLE in some circumstances.

I enjoyed this tutorial. I had only two other thoughts/suggestions for
you Steve.

First, perhaps include a brief explanation early on about why you're
creating the program within a class structure. As a Tkinter beginner
myself, I'm thinking all the widgets could be added within the root
frame, i.e., see the Tkinter notes at
http://bembry.org/tech/python/index.shtml. [The reasons become a
little clearer toward the end of the tutorial; I'm just thinking the
overall document might be clearer to readers if some explanation was
also included early on.]

The other addition that I think newbies would appreciate is in the
section of the tutorial where you're talking about events. I think it
would be educational to distinguish between, say,
"self.button1Click()" and "self.button1Click" I don't know for sure,
but I bet there are folks who get confused distinguishing between
them.

Again, thanks for putting this together. I read it carefully :-)

Al