Why Python?

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Wed Sep 4 19:00:39 EDT 2002

> From: Max M [mailto:maxm at mxm.dk]
>
> Gerhard Häring wrote:
> > Markus Jais wrote:
>
> >>so maybe you should learn both PHP and Python (and Ruby, of
> course :-)
> >
> > I'd skip PHP. But then, I'm biased. And proud of it :-P
>
> Well PHP will not teach you a lot as a programmer, but it can
> have good commercial, practical and pragmatic value.
>
> It is often used in the wild and it is nice to have a general
> feel for it.

And I'm struggling mightily with it at the moment and have decided that I
would never recommend it for a project. In my very short time with it
(approx 4 weeks), I've come across several very annoying things, and just
the other day a probable show-stopper.

And searching for help (newsgroups, web sites, etc) hasn't turned up
anything useful for what I've been trying to do.

Finding that much wrong in such a short time is an immediate flag that there
is something fundamentally wrong with a system.

Tim Delaney