Why Python?

Luca Fini lfini at arcetri.astro.it
Wed Sep 4 05:03:35 EDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, it was written:

> Hi guys (and girls)
> I just begun to learn how to program. And I choosed Python for
> doing that. surfing around the web i found an article about this
> language, they said it's the ideal language for beginners to the
> world of programming. and i admit it, the syntax is very clear making
> the code very readable, i learn easily the concepts of programming
> and i soon wrote some nice programs. but since i finished my
> newbie-tutorial, i am wondering about one question: is it worth to go
> deeper into python? i talked to a friend of mine, he told me that i
> should try php..
> what should i do?? ^_^ in other words: what is python good for?
> why should i continue with python?
> thank you!

Let me rephrase your message:

Hi guys (and girls)
I just begun to learn how to drive. And I choosed a Toyota Corolla for
doing that. surfing around the web i found an article about this car, they
said it's the ideal car for beginners to the world of driving. and i admit
it, the commands are very handy making the driving very easy, i learn
easily the concepts of driving and i soon made some nice travels. but
since i finished my newbie-tutorial, i am wondering about one question: is
it worth to buy a  Toyota Corolla? i talked to a friend of mine,
he told me that i should try Mercedes 240. what should i do?? ^_^ in other
words: what is Toyota Corolla good for? why should i continue with Toyota
Corolla?

Well, maybe not every detail fits perfectly, but I think the point is
clear.

Programming languages, like cars, all do more or less the same things, but
each one has peculiar features which may be more or less suited to a
particular need. You can drive a four-wheeler to go shopping but if you
never go in the wild it would be better to buy a more comfortable car.

I.e.: first try to make your programming needs clear, and then you can
evaluate advice on which programming language to use.

Cheers,
						l.f.
       -- )     Luca Fini                            Tel: +39 055 2752 307
 ___    |\      Osservatorio Astrofisico di Arcetri  Fax: +39 055 2752 292
(___|___//___)  50125 Firenze  /   WWW: http://www.arcetri.astro.it/~lfini
 (_)      (_)   Italia        / e-mail: lfini at arcetri.astro.it