Catching user defined exceptions from foreign modules

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 30 01:54:00 EDT 2002

Derek Basch fed this fish to the penguins on Sunday 29 September 2002
07:22 pm:

> I know that TestError has been imported because I can
> put a "print TestError" before the except clause in
> test1 and I get "test2.TestError". Can anyone tell me
> why I am having to put the test2.TestError instead of
> just TestError? It confuses me even further that my
> small test modules work like I would expect and it
> doesn't work on the larger modules.

        I don't even see why "test1" is working. You explicitly import the
exception by name, but you didn't bring in "TryItOut"...  That alone
should have raised an exception.

[wulfraed at beastie wulfraed]$ python test1.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test1.py", line 14, in ?
    letitrip.run()
  File "test1.py", line 7, in run
    tryitout = TryItOut()
NameError: global name 'TryItOut' is not defined