Graph Layout Algorithms

Duncan Smith buzzard at urubu.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 14:47:42 EDT 2002

"Padraig Brady" <Padraig at Linux.ie> wrote in message
news:pSmf9.3468$cP3.6944 at news.iol.ie...
> Duncan Smith wrote:
> > Hello,
> >          Just wondering if anyone has implemented anything in Python.  I
> > need to lay out my graphs (directed acyclic / undirected / trees) in a
> > reasonably clear way.  So if anyone has already implemented anything, or
if
> > anyone has advice on appropriate algorithms, I'd be glad to hear about
it.
> > Cheers.
> >
> > Duncan
>
> Do you mean graphically represent or internally in data structures?

Represent; the data structures are done (although might be rethought at some
stage).  What I'm after is an algorithm that will calculate suitable
coordinates for the nodes based on indegree / outdegree etc.  Currently I
just arrange them in a circle, but that doesn't look too good.  I suppose
there might be cases  where I'd like to show structures within the graphs as
clearly as possible too (ancestral graphs / cliques / separators / maximal
prime subgraphs).  But some basic algorithms to get me started would be
useful.  I'll check out the links.  Cheers.

Duncan