Smoothing a discrete set of data

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 7 17:50:20 EDT 2002

Tim Churches wrote:

> AFAIK, there is no native Python package which
> implements a
> comprehensive range of regression and smoothing techniques, but I can
> highly
> recommend the R package for statistics and statistical graphics - this
> mature, free, open
> source package has more statistical facilities than you are ever likely
> to need.

While not as comprehensive as R in its statistical coverage, SciPy probably
has enough in it for what the OP wants (which sounded fairly basic). Quick
linear (in the parameters) fits are easily done with scipy, plotting, simple
smoothing (if he wants to), etc. I know R is industrial-strength statistics,
but it sounds like more than what the OP needed.

cheers,

f.