Smoothing a discrete set of data

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Wed Sep 11 12:17:07 EDT 2002

In article <3csmdso5.fsf at morpheus.demon.co.uk>,
 Paul Moore <gustav at morpheus.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> This isn't so much a Python question, as an algorithms question. I
> couldn't find a newsgroup for discussing algorithms (is there a good
> one?) so as I'm implementing the code in Python I thought I'd try here
> - I hope that's OK.

A better newsgroup for discussing algorithms is comp.theory, although
your question might be better for sci.stat.math or maybe sci.op-research.

There are a lot of ways of solving your question, though -- smoothing by
convolving with a Gaussian, taking a Fourier transform and throwing away
the high-frequency terms, or finding a least-squares fit to a low-degree
polynomial, to name three.

--
David Eppstein       UC Irvine Dept. of Information & Computer Science
eppstein at ics.uci.edu http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/