general thoughts

Paul Rubin phr-n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com
Fri Sep 20 07:06:28 EDT 2002

"Dave Gustafson" <DGustafson at attbi.com> writes:
> I've been programming for, hard to believe when I think of it, 30 years...
> I just recently picked up a book that really brought back som fo the Joy of
> programming and programming languages.  I wish I'd picked it up much
> earlier!  It's not about Python, but rather about a dialect of Lisp called
> Scheme, and is titled "The Little Schemer".  It's been really fun to work
> through and really "grok" what's going on in programming, also fun to
> translate the concepts there in to Python which to me is a more real-world
> language.  I'd suggest it as a way to have some fun with this art...

That sounds like either a "port" or a re-interpretation of the classic
"The Little Lisper".

You should also of course have read "Structure And Interpretation of
Computer Programs" by Hal Abelson and Gerry Sussman:

  http://www-mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

The complete text is on that website now!