Strange values in Accept-Language header?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 24 12:40:04 EDT 2002

Alan Kennedy:

>> I have no idea what these could mean (I've changed the actual
values
>> BTW, on the remote off-chance that somebody's highly personal
>> information was coded in there)

Jeff Davis:

> I really don't know what those extra characters mean. Do you think it might
> have to do with some related preference like fonts or the screen or
> something?

I should have mentioned: although I changed the value, I didn't change
the first four characters, so the "x-ns1" and "x-ns2" at the beginning
of each string are original. To me, that indicates some form of
identifier structure, like a URN, for example......

However, if it is a crack attempt, perhaps the "x-ns1" and "x-ns2" are
keys in some dictionary/hashmap that are vulnerable in some server?

Jeff Davis:

> Perhaps if you posted the secret info someone else might notice something.

Yes, I think I'm being too squeamish by not posting the values. Here's
two of the headers, unmodified

If it was some form of request modifier for custom
clients/proxies/servers, then why not simply use a custom HTTP header,
like

Odd.

Alan.