Source code

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Sep 16 01:07:39 EDT 2002

[Terje Johan Abrahamsen]
> If I would like to write some code that would not be possible for
> others to read, after I distribute the program, would Python be
> suitable?

No, but I don't know of a language that would be.  Unless you're also going
to supply a restricted CPU that prevents stepping through the machine code,
you can't really hide anything from a determined reverse-engineerer of
ordinary skill.

> or should I look for a compiled language instead?

It's very easy to reverse-compile Python bytecode.  It's not so easy to
disassemble compiled machine code, but if you think there aren't lots people
who can read machine language almost as easily as high-level source, you're
in for a surprise.  Compilers follow predictable patterns too.  You could
try writing directly in highly obfuscated assembler; that would raise the
bar high enough to discourage almost everyone, although it would also
attract a class of cracker who would feel challenged to outwit you.

If you didn't know all that already, you're playing a game you can't win.  A
better idea is to question why you want to play it at all <wink>.