a question about mailman

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 30 17:17:43 EDT 2002

"Mark McEahern" <mark at mceahern.com> writes:

> In that context, I wonder, "Wouldn't it be easier if you could configure
> Mailman to insert the archive URL into the footer of outgoing messages?"

I'm not sure I understand this question: Do you want to add the URL of
the list archive to the footer, or the URL for the specific message?

Adding the URL for the entire archive is easy (it only varies with the
list, not with the message), so I assume you want to add the URL for
the message itself.

> 1.  Would this generally be useful--having the ability to put message
> specific information in the footers?
> 2.  Would it specifically be useful to put the archive url into the footers?
> (I personally think so.)
> 3.  Is the vague approach I sketched above the way you'd do it?  That is,
> does it seem likely that it would work?

Yes, yes, and no. I believe the trick is that, at the point of sending
the message, you cannot know the URL that the message will get in the
archive. Finding out that URL is particularly tricky in presence of
external archivers.

Regards,
Martin