Python's import: why doesn't it work?

Paul Pichaureau paul.pichaureau at nospam.laposte.net
Sun Sep 29 19:49:43 EDT 2002

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
mailman.1033322378.3697.python-list at python.org...

> The docs are exactly as good as volunteers have made them (well, actually
> better, thanks to Fred <wink>).  When you find an explanation inadequate
> your needs, suggesting specific improvements in the right place is the
only
> way it will improve.

  Then, these are my suggestions to improve documentation on installing and
managing module :

** I have found no explanation of any kind about what I shall put in the
__init__.py file.
** I have seen many module where this file contain just one "import" line,
e.g.

  import the_module_in_this_directory

This seems silly, and I suggest somebody documents the exact way how one
specific function is eventually loaded by the interpreter.

I have read all the documentation about docstrip, and I don't know at all
what I have to do to import a given fonction.

** Is the __name__ list indispensable ? Nobody seems to use it...
** How the sys.path is created in a run, and how can it be cleaned (for
example, when I uninstall a old package, or an obsolete version of a
package).

Suggestion for the distutil package :

** First a complete documentation. I don't like the pseudo-pedagocical style
of the actual documentation. I prefer a complete and clear explanation of
all the command avalaible. The two type of documentation should be
avalaible.

** A clean and safe way to uninstall package. I can't understand why this
hasn't been implemented yet.

** The actual beahviour is quite strange : distutil install all the
subdirectory of the current working directory.
For example, if you consider this tree :

---setup.py
(main dir)
---titi.py
------(lib dir)
---------toto.py
------(stuff dir)
---------tata.py

  If you declare the package main.lib, the package main.stuff will also be
installed. Seems silly to me

                    Paul