Diving into the Python pool....

Jordan Faris jfaris at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 9 19:08:50 EDT 2002

Hi...after strolling through these threads for some while now, and
comparing the generally benign tone here with the rather elitist edge of
other programming communities, I think I'd like to get my feet firmly onto
Terra Pythonia.
I'm a little reluctant to plow in headfirst, however, mainly because I had
my heart set on becoming a Java programmer, but I think I need to be more
realistic about programming fundamentals, since I am doing this completely
self-study.
Python is, if I understand correctly, an object-oriented language with a
much simpler syntax than Java, yet compatible in applicability, especially
web-related, is this correct?
My primary focus is to create streamlined, rapid-deployment web applications
(PHP and JSP portal sites, etc), but from what I've seen, Python can be used
or adapted to achieve comparable results; am I on the right track, or should
I continue to nurture the Java bean?
Any frank, level-headed input would be much appreciated.
Thanks......
Jordan