[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Tue Oct 8 19:57:23 EDT 2002

>>>>> "Anton" == Anton Vredegoor <anton at vredegoor.doge.nl> writes:

Anton> It's not about a specific algorithm, but in case it's relevant
Anton> for the discussion I could provide two cases. In one case I
Anton> wrote a new module using a different algorithm. There are now
Anton> at least 3 different python implementations of this module and
Anton> I think one would be better. In the other case I need only a
Anton> few lines out of a module. It's not a complex function, but the
Anton> problem is: "I didn't think of it". I could rewrite it easyly
Anton> but I can't credit the author without admitting that I read the
Anton> code and rewrote the function. So I have to think of a new
Anton> algorithm while the obvious way to do it is right before my
Anton> nose.

If it is only a few lines of GPL code why don't you post it so we can
have an informed discussion?

Few means around three and certainly less than 10.  It is likely to be
a cookbook example if it really is "only a few lines of code".

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au