[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Tue Oct 8 11:00:01 EDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:03:22 -0500, "Chris Gonnerman"
<chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:

>What sort of algorithm are we talking about here?  How long
>is it?

It's not about a specific algorithm, but in case it's relevant for the
discussion I could provide two cases. In one case I wrote a new module
using a different algorithm. There are now at least 3 different python
implementations of this module and I think one would be better. In the
other case I need only a few lines out of a module. It's not a complex
function, but the problem is: "I didn't think of it". I could rewrite
it easyly but I can't credit the author without admitting that I read
the code and rewrote the function. So I have to think of a new
algorithm while the obvious way to do it is right before my nose.

I'd rather not discuss specific cases however, because I would like to
solve the case in general.

Anton.